‡Contraindications include hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients and clinically important active infections e.g. active tuberculosis.
Reproduced with permission.
* Not all patients are suitable for biologics. Please refer to the full BAD Guidelines and individual Summary of Product Characteristics when considering treatments. Reproduced from BAD Guidelines in which outcome evidence has been generated through a network meta-analysis which have limitations to be considered. Results are not from a single head to head study. Results are derived from the relative treatment rankings based on hierarchical clustering of the surface under the cumulative ranking curve estimates of efficacy (PGA 0/1 and/or PASI ≥90) and tolerability (withdrawal due to adverse events) at weeks 12-16. NMA performed using a bayesian approach to identify direct and indirect evidence comparing biologics at licensed doses with one another, MTX or placebo.
PBO - Placebo; MTX - methotrexate; ETA -
etanercept; ADA - adalimumab; TIL - tildrakizumab;
UST - ustekinumab; CZP - certolizumab pegol;
INF - infliximab;
BRO - brodalumab; SEC - secukinumab; GUS - guselkumab; RIS - risankizumab; IXE - ixekizumab.
SKYRIZI is recommended by NICE7
NICE recommends SKYRIZI as an option for treating plaque psoriasis in adults, only if:
The disease is severe as defined by a total PASI of ≥10 and a DLQI of >107
The disease has not responded to other systemic treatments, including ciclosporin, methotrexate and phototherapy, or these options are contraindicated or not tolerated7
AbbVie provides SKYRIZI according to the commercial arrangement (simple discount PAS)7
Assessing response: SKYRIZI treatment should be stopped at 16 weeks if the psoriasis has not responded adequately*7
*An adequate response is defined as: a 75% reduction in PASI score (PASI 75) from when treatment started or a 50% reduction in PASI score (PASI 50) and a 5-point reduction in DLQI from when treatment started.
SKYRIZI mode of action: Treat a cause, not an effect. Target a key driver of psoriatic inflammation.8-12
SKYRIZI binds with high specificity to the p19 subunit of IL-23, causing prolonged down-regulation of pathogenetic Th17 cells, leading to a reduction of proinflammatory cytokines.8-12
Dr Kave Shams discusses the mode of action of SKYRIZI and the IL-23/Th17 pathway
SKYRIZI mode of action animation
I want to find out more about SKYRIZI
I want to receive more information about SKYRIZI
- SKYRIZI: Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Warren et al., Risankizumab vs Secukinumab in Patients with Moderate-to-Severe Plaque Psoriasis: A Phase 3 Trial, Presented at AAD 2020.
- Gordon KB et al. Lancet 2018;392: 650-661.
- Strober B, et al. Poster 1714, presented at the 28th European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) Congress, 9 13 October 2019, Madrid, Spain.
- Reich K et al. Lancet 2019;394: 576-586.
- Smith C.H et al. British Association of Dermatologists guidelines for biologic therapy for psoriasis 2020- a rapid update. 2020.
- © NICE 2019 Available from www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta596. All rights reserved. Subject to Notice of rights. NICE guidance is prepared for the National Health Service in England. All NICE guidance is subject to regular review and may be updated or withdrawn. NICE accepts no responsibility for the use of its content in this website.
- Gooderham MJ et al. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2018; 32(7):1111-1119.
- Kofoed K et al. Acta Derm Venereol. 2015;95(2):133-139.
- Gaffen SL et al. Nat Rev Immunol 2014; 14(9): 585-600.
- Girolomoni G et al. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2017; 31(1): 1616-1626.
- Lynde CW et al. J Am Acad Dermatol 2014; 71(1): 141-150.
UK-RISN-200369. Date of preparation: November 2020.
(risankizumab) is indicated for the treatment of moderate to
severe plaque psoriasis in adults who are candidates for
The recommended dose of SKYRIZI is 150mg (two 75mg injections) administered by subcutaneous injection at Week 0, Week 4, and every 12 weeks thereafter.
SKYRIZI is intended for use under the guidance and supervision of a physician experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of psoriasis.
Some patients may not be suitable for SKYRIZI. You are advised to read the Prescribing Information (which can be found on tab above). Please also refer to the SKYRIZI Summary of Product Characteristics for important information including special warnings/precautions for use and summary of adverse reactions.
Study design information can be found on the Study Design page.